IHP trainings and exercises
The importance of training and exercising cannot be overstated, particularly to prepare staff for international field operations in difficult and often high-risk environments but also to ensure understanding of mandates, systems and procedures.
The IHP members have strong institutional training and exercise capabilities. The members have training centres with facilities designed for both indoor and outdoor training events. IHP hosts other organisations’ training programmes, such as UNOCHA, OCHA/UNDAC, WFP and UNHCR. Individual IHP organisations also provide trainings to different UN organisations, the EU and the IFRC. IHP hosts or supports other organisations' training events, for example the UNHCR Workshop on Wemergency Management (WEM), UNDAC induction training etc.
Furthermore, IHP also delivers three types of internal trainings for IHP personnel, to ensure that all personnel is well prepared for emergency response deployments, namely;
- Basic trainings - E.g. induction trainings and UN safety and security in the field, with the aim to provide understanding of the IHP framework and concept and the international humanitarian response.
- Specialisation trainings - Trainings based on IHP modular support packages e.g. base camp management, ICT, Information Management etc.
- IHP Field Management training
- IHP Field Security Management training
- IHP Base Camp Course
- IHP ICT Support Staff course
- IHP Operational Support Staff Course
- Mission specific trainings - Specific pre-deployment trainings and briefings with the aim of preparing staff and teams for an emergency assignment.
IHP arranges the TRIPLEX exercise; a large scale field simulation exercise which is focusing on strengthening preparedness and response in regard to coordination and effective emergency response. TRIPLEX provides a unique value as one of only few civilian-run multilateral humanitarian response field emergency simulations. Additionally to the IHP members, the exercise regularly involves OCHA, WFP, UNICEF, the EU, OPCW, Non-Governmental Organisations, the IFRC, and military organisations’ CIMIC amongst others.
The last Triplex was held in the boarder area between Denmark and Germany in 2013 and more than 100 staff from a wide range of organisations participated in the exercise.
One of the largest, civilan lead, humanitarian exercises is planned and run by the IHP. Triplex 2016 is scheduled to take place 25-30 September in the southern parts of Norway. The Main Planning Conference will take place in Brussels 19-20 January 2016.
Follow Triplex 2016 on Facebook
IHP TRAINING SYSTEM